- K12 (spoken as "k twelve", "k through twelve", or "k to twelve") is a designation for the sum of primary and secondary education and is an expression which is a shortening of kindergarten (K) for 4- to 6-year-olds through twelfth grade (12) for 17- to 19-year-olds.
- Republic Act No. 10533
- Short Title: Enhanced Basic Education Act of 2013
- Long Title: AN ACT ENHANCING THE PHILIPPINE BASIC EDUCATION SYSTEM BY STRENGTHENING ITS CURRICULUM AND INCREASING THE NUMBER OF YEARS FOR BASIC EDUCATION, APPROPRIATING FUNDS THEREFOR AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES
- Universal Kindergarten began in School Year 2011-2012;
- Grade 1 and Grade 7 (1st Year Junior High School) was rolled in School Year 2012-2013;
- Grade 11 will be introduced in School Year 2016-2017; and
- Grade 12 will be rolled out in School Year 2017-2018.
- CORE CURRICULUM - Composed of six (6) subjects:
- Languages (English and/or Filipino)
- Social Sciences
- Business and Entrepreneurship
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Science, Technology, and Engineering
- improve kindergartners readiness for primary grades;
- decongest the countrys 10-year curriculum cycle;
- equip high school students for college/university education
- prepare high school graduates for the world of work after graduation; and
- give Filipino professionals better recognition internationally because it is also a standard for recognition of students and/or professionals abroad (i.e., the Bologna Process (http://www.ehea.info/) for the European Union and the Washington Accord (http://www.washingtonaccord.org/) for the United States).
|Implementation of The K to 12 Basic Education Program. Photo from Official Gazette|
What is the K to 12 Program?
A Look At The Education System In Two Different Countries
University of Makati produces PHL’s first batch of K-12 graduates
A Primer on the New K-12 Philippine Education Curriculum
Miriam College is K-12 Ready
Why does the Philippines Need the K-12 Education System?
THE K TO 12 BASIC EDUCATION PROGRAM
DepEd seeks specialized high school programs under K-12
PNoy signs Ehnanced Basic Education Act of 2013 (RA 10533)