- World Book Day is also called as World Book and Copyright Day and also known as International Day of the Book and also referred to as World Book Days.
- It is an annual event every April 23 which was organized by UNESCO promoting reading, publishing and copyright.
- It was first celebrated on April 23, 1995 wherein delegates of the United Nation's Year for Tolerance and UNESCO's General Conference in Paris voted for an annual celebration of promoting awareness and adherence to copyright laws as well as protecting intellectual copyright.
- The idea originated in Catalonia, Spain since 1436 wherein every April 23 which is also known as La Diada de Sant Jordi or St George's Day, a rose is given for every book sold, and this is also the reason why it is called "The Day of the Rose".
- UNESCO also awards the Children's and Young People's Literature in the Service of Tolerance during this event.
- The symbol for World Book Day features images encouraging people, particularly children, to read books and appreciate literature.
- The day is called Världsbokdagen (World Book Day) and the copyright part is seldom mentioned in Sweden and it was normally celebrated on April 23 but was moved to April 13 in the year 2000 and 2011 which was happened to be Easter Day celebration.
- The event is celebrated on the first Thursday of March instead of April 23 in UK and Ireland because it is also St. George’s Day which is a National Saint's Day in UK and Ireland.
- April 23 is symbolic for world literature because it also marks the anniversary of the birth or death of a range of internationally renowned writers. It coincided with the death anniversary of Miguel de Cervantes, William Shakespeare, Inca Garcilaso de la Vega, Joseph Pla, William Wordsworth and the birth anniversary of Maurice Druon, Manuel Mejía Vallejo and Halldór Laxness.
- The Nigerian city of Port Harcourt was chosen as World Book Capital for 2014. According to the Selection Committee which are composed of UNESCO and three major sectors of the book industry (publishers, booksellers, libraries), the quality of programme in Nigeria's culture of books improves literacy rates particularly in the youth sector.
- There are no themes for this day although there is a specific topic around which programs are organized every year and for 2014, it is "History and Stories".
- For 2014, International Publishers Association has released an interesting document which was compiled by Waka Kobayashi regarding the events and traditions around the world. Click here for more info.
|Facebook Event Photo by National Book Development Board - Philippines|
|Facebook Invitation for World Book Day celebration at Bonifacio Global City on April 23, 2014|
World Book and Copyright Day, 23 April
World Book and Copyright Day 2014
World Book and Copyright Day
World Book and Copyright Day | Global Dimension
Time and Date
World Book Day
World Book Day Fest
World Book and Copyright Day on Wednesday
Happy World Book Day! Some Interesting Facts
Events and traditions around the world