- Juno - Ellen Page’s wise-cracking teen gets a handle on a surprise pregnancy in this indie box-office smash also starring Jennifer Garner.
- Secrets & Lies - Marianne Jean-Baptiste plays a black daughter who traces her white birth mum (Brenda Blethynn) in Mike Leigh’s funny, dysfunctional family portrait.
- Imitation of Life - Old-school weepie with Lana Turner and Juanita Moore as the black maid whose daughter rejects her to pass for white.
- Terms of Endearment - Debbie Winger and Shirley Maclaine star in the ultimate mother-daughter struggle in this classic ’80s tearjerker.
- Eve’s Bayou - This sensuous gothic tale is about fathers and daughters but don’t miss Lynn Whitfield’s stunning turn as the betrayed mother.
- Almost Famous - Frances McDormand’s straight-shooting mum puts the fear of God into the rock stars leading her son astray.
- Volver - Pedro Almodovar’s haunting tale features Penelope Cruz as one hot mama embroiled in a family mystery.
- The Incredibles - Holly Hunter’s super-flexible heroine raises three kids, rescues her hubby and kicks major butt.
- Sherry Baby - Maggie Gyllenhall gives it her all as a recovering addict trying to reclaim her life and her daughter.
- Knocked Up - A hilarious take on accidental motherhood with Katherine Heigl and Seth Rogen as co-parents on a very bumpy ride.
- Hideous Kinky - Kate Winslet shines as the freewheeling mum who seeks personal fulfillment, often at her daughters’ cost.
- Central Station - A motherless boy finds companionship with a lonely old woman in this poignant road movie.