- Los Baños is a first class urban municipality in the province of Laguna, Philippines.
- The town is located 63 kilometres (39 mi) southeast of Manila and is accessible via the South Luzon Expressway.
- Los Baños has a total land area of 56.5 square kilometers (5,650 hectares) and is bordered on the south and southwest by Mount Makiling, on the north by Laguna de Bay, on the northwest by Calamba City and on the east by the town of Bay.
- The town of Los Baños is crossed by five rivers or creeks:
- The Dampalit river, which is named after an edible herb Sesuvium portulacastrum which often grows near river shores, originates on the north face of Mt. Makiling east of the Philippine High School for the Arts, and feeds into Laguna lake at the boundary of Barangays Lalakay and Bambang.
- The Saran creek, whose headwaters begin somewhere near the municipal dumpsite, flows through Barangay Anos near the municipal cemetery, and feeds into the lake at Barangay Malinta.
- The Pele or Pili creek, named after the Pili tree (Canarium ovatum), flows through the west side of Barangay Batong Malake and has its mouth at the boundary of Barangays Malinta and Mayondon.
- The Molawin River, most familiar to UPLB students because it flows through the UPLB campus and the Makiling Botanic Gardens, is named after the Molave tree (Vitex parviflora).
- The Maitim river, whose name simply means 'black', flows through the westernmost portions of Los Baños, marking the town's boundary with its neighboring town of Bay. The Molawin and Maitim rivers merge just a few meters before feeding into Laguna de Bay at the shore of Barangay Maahas
- The town's name literally means bathing places and it was once called as "the town with many hot baths" during the Spanish period.
- Los Baños started as a settlement, a barrio of Bay, called Mainit, the Tagalog term for "hot" and alludes to the thermal springs at the foot of Mount Makiling and by 1589, through a Franciscan Friar, it became popularly called by its present name: "Los Baños," which is Spanish for "bathing place."
- In 1595, a temporary building made of bamboo and cogon was built to serve as shelter for the patients who journeyed to Mainit to seek cures for their ailments. It was on 15 September 1615 when the Friars administered Los Baños as a separate town from Bay.
- The early traders from Las Pinas such as the "Eusebio clan" and from Manila the "Lopez clan" are considered the earliest to have established farming and business establishment in the area followed by the Kalaws, Clemente and De Castro clan who are all related to each other.
- One of the country's leading academic institutions, the Univerity of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB), was founded as the College of Agriculture in 1909 and being a center of knowledge in various fields especially in the sciences, Los Baños is widely known as a "Special Science and Nature City of the Philippines." and the town was proclaimed as such on 17 September 2000 by then President Joseph Estrada.
- Los Baños also hosts other foreign and local and international research centers, such as the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), the Philippine Rice Research Institute (Philrice), the Philippine Carabao Center at the Univerity of the Philippines Los Baños (PCC at UPLB), The ASEAN Center for Biodiversity, National Institute for Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (NIMBB/BIOTECH), and the Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organization-Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEAMEO-SEARCA).
- Los Baños is also famous for its delicacy, the buko pie or coconut pie. Dairy products such as fresh milk, chocolate milk, kesong puti or native white cheese, pastillas, and yogurt are available at the Dairy Training and Research Institute (DTRI) and at the Philippine Carabao Center which are both located at UPLB.
- PROCLAMATION NO. 852 DECLARING WEDNESDAY, 17 SEPTEMBER 2014, AS A SPECIAL (NON-WORKING) DAY IN THE MUNICIPALITY OF LOS BAÑOS, PROVINCE OF LAGUNA
Proclamation No. 852, s. 2014