- Also known as The Bit Player
- A socio-realist drama-comedy ﬁlm that pays tribute to all bit players or "extras".
- The protagonist "bit player", Loida Malabanan, is played by none other than Vilma Santos who is one of the most prominent actresses in the Philippines for decades already.
- The film follows a seemingly usual day in the life of Loida Malabanan as she embarks on yet another shooting day of a soap opera as an extra. As the shoot goes on, we get a glimpse of the truth in the ruling system of the production as well as the exploitation of the marginalized laborers like her.
- Directed by Jeffrey Jeturian.
- Director Jeffrey Jeturian's 9th full-length film and his second for Cinemalaya’s Directors Showcase.
- Had its international premiere at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival, set from September 5 to 15, under Contemporary World Cinema section.
- Jeffrey Jeturian, a solid "Vilmanian", graduated from the broadcast communication program of UP Diliman in 1983 and it took him almost 30 years to realized his dream of directing Vilma Santos.
- The film was somehow autobiographical in nature to the life of the director, Jeffrey Jeturian, who also patiently swallow his pride just to earn a pittance to support his family and also had difficulties making ends' meet in the early days of his career. Jeturian was a production assistant, script continuity, art director, production designer, and eventually assistant director before he became what he is now, a celebrated director.
- 13th Dhaka International Film Festival awardee for Best Actress, Vilma Santos
- Gawad Tanglaw Awards 2014 awardee for Best Actress, Vilma Santos
- 2013 Cinemalaya Film Festival, Directors Showcase, awardee for:
- Special Jury Prize
- Audience Choice
- NETPAC Award
- Best Actress – Vilma Santos
- Best Supporting Actress – Ruby Ruiz
- Best Screenplay
- Nominated–Best Film
The Bit Player
Movie Review: Ekstra (The Bit Player)
Movie review: 'Ekstra' exalts the lowly bit players, raps 'studio system'
Ekstra (2013) IMDB
Post a Comment