1. Spinach: Spinach acts as an effective cover plant, making for one of the best companion plants.
2. Garlic: Garlic wards off pests with its potent aroma.
3. Root vegetables: Horseradish is a root vegetable with pest-resistant qualities. Radishes boost pest resistance and repel flea beetles. Turnips, parsnips, and beets also operate similarly.
4. Bush beans: Bush beans are legumes that may increase your sweet potato yield.
5. Pole beans: Pole beans can help boost nitrogen absorption.
6. Peas: Peas may help sweet potatoes absorb nitrogen.
7. Basil: Basil repels damaging hornworms and flies.
8. Herbs: Thyme is an herb that attracts hoverflies, which eat destructive aphids. Dill, chives, borage, summer savory, and oregano also make good companion plants for sweet potato vines. Plant these aromatic herbs nearby to ward off the destructive sweet potato weevil.
9. Alyssum: Sweet alyssum flowers serve as a ground cover plant while also attracting beneficial insects like wasps.
10. Yarrow: Yarrow attracts pollinators to your garden.
11. Nasturtium: These bright orange flowers are excellent at repelling the Colorado potato beetle.
12. Marigold: Marigolds are effective at repelling many sweet potato pests that can destroy the plant’s root system.