- World Intellectual Property Day is an annual event held every April 26.
- World IP Day promotes discussion of the role of IP in encouraging innovation and creativity.
- It was established by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) in 2000.
- WIPO is a specialized agency of the United Nations dedicated to protect legal rights in international intellectual property (IP) system, which rewards creativity, stimulates innovation and contributes to economic development while safeguarding the public interest.
- WIPO administers two treaties that were established in the 1880's wherein one protects copyright an the other safeguards patents, trademarks, and the other means of protecting original creations. Administrative agencies of the two treaties joined in 1893 and were replaced by that of WIPO when it was founded in 1967. The agency became part of the UN in 1974. The Web site of the World Intellectual Property Organization at http://www.ompi.org provides additional information.
- The Director General of the National Algerian Institute for Industrial Property (INAPI) proposed on 7 April 1999 the institutionalization of an international day for intellectual property.
- The Chinese delegation to the WIPO proposed on 9 August 1999 the adoption of the "World Intellectual Property Day".
- The General Assembly of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) approved on October 1999 the idea of declaring a particular day as a World Intellectual Property Day and April 26th was chosen as the date because it coincides with the date on which the Convention Establishing the World Intellectual Property Organization entered into force in 1970.
- Intellectual Property (IP) refers to creations of the mind, such as inventions; literary and artistic works; designs; and symbols, names and images used in commerce.
- Under intellectual property law, owners are granted certain exclusive rights to a variety of intangible assets, such as musical, literary, and artistic works.
- There are 5 types of intellectual property, namely: copyright, patent, trademarks, industrial designs and geographical indications.
- April 26, 2014, 14th World Intellectual Property Day Theme is "Movies - A Global Passion" .
|Pictogram downloadable from WIPO|
CIPIT Law Blog
World Intelelctual Property Day - April 26
What is Intellectual Property?World Intellectual Property Day | IP4all.com
World Intellectual Property Day - Wikipedia
Time and Date