- Proclamation No 200 declared April 27 "Lapu-Lapu Day." Duterte signed the proclamation on Wednesday, April 26.
- The date was chosen because it was on this day, in 1521, when the Battle of Mactan erupted. In that battle, Lapu-Lapu, a local chieftain, confronted Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan.
- Duterte described Lapu-Lapu as "the first of our forefathers to have fought against foreign domination."
- Lapu-Lapu is regarded, retroactively, as the first Filipino hero. Lapu-Lapu (fl. 1521) was a ruler of Mactan in Visayas. Modern Philippine society regards him as the first Filipino hero because he was the first native to resist Spanish colonization.
- "It is but fitting and proper that Lapu-Lapu be given the highest honor and that his legacy be remembered by all Filipinos through appropriate ceremonies," said President Duterte.
- Duterte, who refers to himself as a Bisaya because his father is from Cebu, spoke during campaign sorties in Visayas about the need for Lapu-Lapu to be recognized as a hero at par with heroes from Luzon like Jose Rizal and Andres Bonifacio.
- He even complained about how Lapu-Lapu is honored only by the use of his name to refer to a fish eaten by Filipinos.
- To elevate Lapu-Lapu's status, Duterte signed an Executive Order creating the Order of Lapu-Lapu. President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the creation of the Order of Lapu-Lapu through Executive Order 17 signed by the President through Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea April 7, 2017. The Order of Lapu-Lapu will be awarded to awarded to officials and personnel of the government, and private individuals in recognition of their invaluable or extraordinary service in relation to a campaign or advocacy of the President.
- This Order is to be awarded to officials, government personnel, and private citizens "in recognition of invaluable or extraordinary service in relation to a campaign or advocacy of the President."
- The order will have three medals: the Lapu-Lapu Medal awarded to officials and personnel of the government, and private individuals who significantly contributed to the success of an activity pursuant to the President’s campaign or advocacy.
- The Kalasag Medal, to be awarded to officials and personnel of the government, and private individuals who lost their lives and/or property as result of direct participation in activity pursuant to the President’s campaign or advocacy.
- The Kampilan Medal, for individual seriously injured or wounded as result of direct participation in activity pursuant to the President’s campaign or advocacy.
http://www.rappler.com/nation/168168-duterte-april-27-lapu-lapu-day https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapu-Lapu http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2017/04/17/1691158/duterte-creates-order-lapu-lapu-honor-service-his-campaigns http://www.update.ph/2017/04/duterte-creates-order-of-lapu-lapu-for-individuals-supporting-his-campaign-advocacy/16862
Post a Comment