Ecclesiastes 3:1-2: “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven; a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot.”
- Last day today, 8 July 2014, after 74 years of customer service.
- One of the best restaurant in Baguio, a living tradition, a pioneer institution and a historical landmark.
- Star Café was established in 1940 by Rufino patriarch, Goo Chin.
- Joey Rufino succumbed to a lingering illness on 18 December 2013.
- Donna Rufino, widow of Star Café owner Joey, at 69, said she no longer has the energy to keep the business running. Her children on the other hand, are living abroad and are practicing their respective professions. Also, none of her husband’s six siblings could attend to the business because everyone is now living in Canada.
- First and original location was at Calderon Street where Jollibee-Calderon is presently located.
- Transferred to its second location in 1955 at Session Road, across where the first McDonalds (which also recently closed on 16 June 2014 after 23 years) was located.
- Transferred to its current and last location in 1991 at Session Road.
- Famous for its Chinese cuisine such as pancit, pancit canton, lumpiang shanghai, egg foo yong, camaron jon hamon, for its breads like cinnamon buns, pan de sal, pan de Vienna, and egg pie.
- Star Café is one of the pioneer awardees of Go Negosyo by businessman Joey Concepcion.
- It was also awarded the “Builder of Baguio” award during Baguio’s centennial in 2009.
- Sells Baguio Midland Courier newspaper for 16 pesos only, same with Luisa's Cafe.
Best Homegrown Baguio Restaurants
Famous landmark to close shop after 74 years of operation
After 74 years, Star Café in Baguio to close
Star Café: Forever a star in Baguio
Baguio’s Star Café closes on July 8
After 74 beaming years: Baguio's Star Café shutting down
Pasasalamat for 23 years!
Unang McDo sa Baguio, magsasara na