Summer is on! But if you still haven’t achieved that beach-perfect body you’re aiming for there’s still time – with this 12 Abs exercises to help you get that flat sexy belly!
- Plank -Stay in push up position making sure your hands are below your shoulders and your belly is engaged. Your body should be in one straight line. For starters you may keep your forearms on the floor. Hold the position for 20 seconds or a minute if you’re stronger
- Side plank - Similar to the plank but do it one side. Starting on the plank position, face the left side while stretching your left arm to the ceiling and your left foot on top of your other foot. Do not let your hips collapse, imagine your hips are being pulled towards the ceiling. Hold the position and repeat on the other side.
- Dumbbell push up row - Stay in plank position with a pair of dumbbells on the floor about shoulder-width apart. Do a push up. Once in plank position pull the dumbbell in one hand up to your chest. Repeat with your other hand
- Plank twist - On a plank position with elbows on the floor, twist from your waist keeping your hands on the floor and keeping hips still. Keep your core engaged.
- Cross Crunches - Sit on the floor with lower legs crossed and lifted so your upper body and thighs form a V. Holding a medicine ball or a dumbbell twist side to side while maintaining the V shape.
- Cross lunges - Hold dumbbells at arms’ length on your side. Step your right foot forward and side so your right food is in front of your left foot. Do a lunge, knees should be bent at least 90 degrees. Hold for 2 sec then return to starting position and repeat with the other leg
- Crossover step up - Carry a pair of dumbbells and stand next to a step that is knee high. The step should be at your left side. Place your right foot on the step (you will cross your right leg in front of your left) and push your body up onto the step. Go back to starting position, repeat. Switch legs.
- Roll-out - Kneel in front of a stability ball with hands on top of the ball. Roll the ball away, move your arms and hips until you are outstretched. Go back to starting position and repeat.
- Knee Crunch - Lie on your back on a stability ball. knees bent 90 degrees and feet hip-width apart. put your left arm behind your head, balancing with the other hand on the floor. Lift your right leg straight. Crunch up, twist and try to reach your left elbow to your right knee. Return to starting position and repeat, switch sides and repeat.
- Scale pose - This is an exercise that strengthens your core and arms. Sit in a comfortable cross-legged position with arms beside your hips. Push into your arms and lift your entire lower body off the floor. This is a challenging pose so you may want to lift your butt and keep your feet on the floor. The pose is more effective when you tighten your pelvic floor!
- Low belly leg reach - Lie down face up. Lift legs and bend knees to a 90 degree angle. Crunch up lifting your shoulders off the floor and hands behind your head. Inhale and hold the position for a few seconds, exhale then straighten your knees, extending your legs to 45 degrees. Hold for a few seconds. Engage your core the whole time!
- Mountain Climber - Start on the plank position keeping your wrists under your shoulders, legs together and active. Pull your right knee into your chest as you reach your forehead towards your knees. Bring back your leg to plank, hold for a few seconds and repeat with the other leg. You may also alternate legs with a dynamic rhythm
|Photo from Inside Physique 57|